Parliamentary Budget Office
Senior Economist, Economic and Fiscal Analysis Division, PBO,
- Member of small team of economists responsible for developing
PBO's economic and fiscal analysis, key reports and research agenda.
- Initiated and published notes on: the Canadian economy; the federal budget
and fiscal projections; the labour market; and monetary policy
- Communicated research findings to Parliamentarians, senior
officials and media in press conferences, briefings and meetings.
- Prepared speeches and presentations for PBO
testimonies to Parliamentary committees and public appearances.
- Wrote PBO's first Operating Plan stating the start-up
operating principles and near-term goals, and the strategy and resource
allocations to fulfill our mandate.
- Developed PBO's Information Protocol, in consultations
Finance, formalizing the process by which the PBO accesses information
from government departments under the Parliament of Canada Act.
C.D. Howe Institute
- Activities included: publishing policy papers on
Fed-Prov transfers and Foreign Aid;
refereeing papers; writing opinion/editorial pieces;
participating in conferences; attending roundtables on
various policy topics;
attending the Institute's Monetary Policy Council meetings as well as
consultations with the IMF and OECD.
Department of Finance
Researcher, Economic and Fiscal Policy
Branch, Department of
Finance Canada, 2004.
- Published a working paper
that reviewed the literature on rules of origin in preferential trade
Bank of Canada
Economist, Research Department, Bank of Canada,
- Worked the Current Analysis Division, divided time equally
between research and monitoring the Canadian economy.
Current Analysis and Monitoring:
- Developed a model of how government balances respond to
in economic conditions.
- Examined historic and real-time performance of Bank of Canada real
those to consensus forecasts. The methodology provided a
means of tracking data revisions and testing models in the
more-realistic 'real-time' environment.
- Prepared several notes on Canadian fiscal
policy which summarized,
analyzed, and quantified federal and provincial budget documents and
impact on the quarterly projection model.
- Worked in a team of four economists to produce a short-run outlook,
forecast, and assessment of risks for Canadian GDP, as well as
inflationary pressures on prices and wages.
- Each quarter the team analyzed the National Income and Expenditure
Accounts and participated in the projection.
- We provided
briefings of all incoming Canadian data, and responded
to ad hoc requests from senior management on various issues.
Student Works Painting